Essential Management Skills
3 days recommended. (Short & long programmes available depending on requirements)
This course offers managers an opportunity to develop and apply the concepts and techniques necessary to manage departments and resources effectively.
- Leadership v. management;
- Business improvement techniques;
- Problem solving & decision making;
- Leading & motivating a team;
- Conflict management;
- Understanding & developing workplace relationships.
Introduction to leadership:
- Leadership & management: Definitions;
- Leadership v. management: Differences;
- Leadership & management: incompatible or complementary?
- Employing leadership v. management skills;
- Leadership styles & approaches, incl. transformational & situational leadership;
- Skills practice: leadership styles & approaches.
Business improvement techniques:
- Why improve?;
- Efficiency & Effectiveness: Definitions;
- Eliminating 7 types of waste in operational processes using Lean Processing;
- Total Quality Management;
- Using KANBAN Boards to improve throughput & flow;
- Statistical Process Control in processes.
Leading & motivating a team:
- First-line Management: Roles & Responsibilities;
- Motivation theories: Maslow, Herzberg & McClelland;
- Case study: Application of motivation theories in the workplace.
- Problem categories: Potential, Deviation & Improvement;
- The problem-solving process;
- Problem analysis techniques, incl. root cause analysis;
- Solution(s) development & selection methods;
- Solution implementation considerations;
- Monitoring & evaluation.
- Causes of conflict;
- Functional & dysfunctional outcomes of conflict;
- Stages of conflict;
- Conflict resolution models;
- Skills practice.
Understanding & developing workplace relationships:
- Identifying stakeholders’ needs & expectations;
- Managing unmet expectations for stakeholders;
- Negotiation methods.
“Thank you Kathleen for all you are doing to support the group and the Society and we are very grateful that our staff talked to our IIP Assessor so positively about their experience on the programme.”
“The feedback from the attendees has been extremely positive and complimented how relevant and useful the material covered was. Kathleen’s approach and knowledge were outstanding and related well with the group.”
Make an Enquiry
We offer a free 1hr no-obligation consultation by phone or Zoom (or at your premises if in greater Belfast) to discuss your requirements.